Saturday, January 16, 2010

Back on the horse

I want back on. Everyone says I shouldn't do it, that I'm lucky to be alive, etc. etc. Maybe they're right, maybe not. Either way, I want back on. I don't think it's so much the "freedom" that others say they love about it, rather I enjoy the skill and concentration required to do it efficiently (i.e. not kill myself). Yes the acceleration is addictive but one quickly realizes how silly and irresponsible it is to twist the right-side grip to the lower stop. Good moto brakes can slow you down quick, but nowhere near as quick as those on a car, and it takes much longer than one thinks to slow down from 140 or so. No, I don't need top speed. I've been there on two wheels and on four and can say for certain that it's much more fun on four...death isn't so apparent when surrounded on all four sides by metal. I need clutchless upshifts and perfectly rev-matched downshifts just before hitting as near a perfect apex as my skill will allow.

I want back on. My time with the machine is not finished yet.